[pct-l] Mt Whitney

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 11:55:55 CDT 2008

Last year I had a PCTA 500 mile pass with a Whitney Portal stamp and got turned around.  I don't think that ranger had ever been on the West side of Whitney and was not familiar with the PCTA pass.  The date was off by almost a month.  If your date is close and if you have the gear for 500 miles they "might" let you through.  BUT the rangers up there SEE too many people and at least my experience was BAD.

  SB

Bob Bankhead <wandering_bob at comcast.net> wrote:
  When I asked the PCTA that last year, I was told that I did not need a Mt Whitney endorsement on my thru-hiker permit unless I was planning to enter the Whitney Zone (defined as the area from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal). Trail Crest is south of the JMT/Whitney trail junction, and you go north at that point, so you'll never get to Trail Crest.

I was told that if I just detour to climb Whitney and return to the PCT, no extra permit was needed.

I was told to expect to find rangers stationed at both Trail Crest and atop Whitney.

Wandering Bob