[pct-l] GPS & Maps

adrian.borner at ch.abb.com adrian.borner at ch.abb.com
Tue Apr 15 01:40:17 CDT 2008

I also have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and use City Navigator North America
for the road and city planning and the US Topo - West for the trails. For
the off-line planning I use the CD sets available at the PCTA Online Store
for 39.95$ which also include a basic set of Waypoints.
If you want to have a more detailed route, you can down-load tracks for CA
Section A to K at http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/trackdl.html (does
anybody know where I can get tracks for further north?) . They are almost
a bit too detailed so you may want to use only a sub-set. The advantage
with loading tracks to the GPS memory card is, that you can load in
addition to the 50 routes with max 1000 waypoints (in basic memory), 20
tracks with a total of 10'000 points. By using more than one memory card
you can basically have as many tracks and points as you want without
having to load them during your trip.
For my section hike I do this year of approx 600 miles, one memory card is
all I need.
Happy Trail
Adrian