[pct-l] GPS & Maps

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Tue Apr 15 11:19:08 CDT 2008

Adrian,

For tracks north than the Section K data available on my site (
http://www.pctmap.net ) you could try these three sources:

http://backpacker.trimbleoutdoors.com/backpacker/pct/pct.aspx

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Number=215852

http://morethanamile.com/pctcd/support.htm

I find the trimbleoutdoors site difficult to navigate, but Jack
Haskel's data that is available there is generally excellent. In the
areas I have hiked, It almost always matches up exactly with my data.
It is not as detailed in terms of number of sample points as my data,
so it would not work as well for measuring distances, but as you point
out my data can be overkill for many uses. The data also could use a
bit of cleanup as it contains an occasional off-trail side trip (for
example into Big Bear City).

The data on the other sites is probably good too, I just haven't spent
as much time looking at them.

-Halfmile