[pct-l] Digital Camera Recommendation for Dave from Australia

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:14:29 CDT 2008

This is the camera I have. I normally just leave the mode in 'auto'
and p&s but...

Here is a pic taken in 'auto' mode:

http://picasaweb.google.com/len5742/Idyllwild/photo#5188793490239267426

Here's the same spot in 'landscape' mode:

http://picasaweb.google.com/len5742/Idyllwild/photo#5188793623383253634

I don't know if one is overexposed or one is underexposed, but I like
landscape better.

Something got stuck under the lens cover after just a couple days and
the cover would not close without prodding.  I tapped on the cover
several times and eventually the blockage cleared.

Mechanical IS is a godsend for heavy-breathing, wobbly hikers and when
using zoom.  Macro mode is nice for flowers.  I also have Casio and I
much prefer the Casio user interface.

I paid $200 for mine a couple months ago.  There are reputable sites
selling it for $30-$40 less now.  Watch out for lowballers who will
not sell you the camera unless you buy a $100 1GB card with it.

I bought 3 Adata 8GB cards for $100 total on ebay, thinking I wanted
to shoot a lot of video.  (I'm not sure that's enough, MPEG3 video
will eat you alive.) Lithium batteries from ebay as well. And a LCD
cover. And a 8GB card reader. And a power cable.

It is a brick, though.  I'd actually prefer to carry one of the many
cameras that are half the weight, but they all seem to take
proprietary batteries that require recharging, and i didn't want to
worry about running out of power between town stops.