[pct-l] miles per day

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Apr 15 19:30:39 CDT 2008

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes wrote:

> Has anybody ever hiked the PCT at 15 miles a day? Did it work out? I
> realize maybe you can't get to Canada at that pace, but does that
> seem like too few miles per day to be an enjoyable experience,
> especially if you're probably going to be alone most of the time?

if you're not attempting to hike from mexico to canada, you can more or
less hike at whatever pace feels best to you, however a very important
point is that a slower pace means more weight on your back. in other
words, the more days between resupply stops, the more food you have to
carry. and in the desert, sometimes water sources are 20+ miles apart,
so you'll be packing more water, and more water for dry camping.

hope this helps

girlscout

(ps, a thru-hike from mexico to canada at 15mpd would be a challenge.
some quick math indicates that at that pace, with NO zero days, your
trip would last almost 6 months, which is at the edge of the do-able
seasonal window for the pct)