[pct-l] Bear containers north of Sonora Pass

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Apr 16 09:23:57 CDT 2008

No bear cannisters are required north of Yosemite.  A general rule of
thumb is that where bears are hunted, bears "usually" stay away from
backpackers.  No guarantees.  However, appropriately hanging food (which
is usually doable as the trail is mostly below timberline) has worked
for me in the past

For the last 10 years I make sure I eat before I camp, and try and camp
somewhere there isn't a fire pit, beaten down ground from previous
hikers or toilet paper evidence of a hiker's spot, and sleep with my
food.  Of course when you're tired you'll sleep near water and where
other hikers have been.  After a while you likely will just sleep with
your food.  I found that bear paranoia is more a function of sitting at
home being anxious than any real danger where bears are hunted.

Actually, I found by starting hiking at first light I saw many bears
foraging.  Awesome sight.  You are lucky if you see a bear, and luckier
if you see many of them.

Jeff, just Jeff, wishing I were heading out next week...