[pct-l] $240 in Section C

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 10:30:30 CDT 2008

Robert,

See my posting:   [pct-l] prepping for my first hike.   frankgilliland at
comcast.net

It answers some of your questions.

Gear has changed.  Some for the good.  Other gear seems to have changed
based on marketing and fashion.  You have to do your own research and find
good sales people.

In the case of finding my wife a new pack.  The sales people were only
pushing the LARGE and expensive packs.  I had to from my own experience,
take over and find the pack that fit my wife.  She could not figure out how
to make it work right.
I took the same pack and within 15 seconds had it fitting me perfectly.  I
then taught her how to make a pack fit.  Through trial and error she finally
got it.

If your gear is more that a few years old, then I would suggest getting some
new stuff.  The big three (pack, sleeping bag and shelter) have changed a
lot.  $300 to $400  bucks can set you real nice.

I really like the Osprey line of internal small packs.  They are light and
fit me like a glove.

I use the Osprey Atmos 50 Pack  A little pricy at $200.  it weighs a little
less than 3lbs.  Wait for the next 20% off sale and get it for $160

http://www.rei.com/product/748725

I have yet to try my new Mountain Hardware down bag.  Once again, it fits
me.

It weighs 23 oz and I got the long women's version for the extra width.
Once again wait for a sale and get some great deals.  I got mine for almost
half off.

I am having a hard time NOT using my Sierra Designs Light Year Tent @
$149.00  It weighs about 2.5 lbs

http://www.rei.com/product/763146

I am hooked on the fact that it is a light sturdy and well made tent.  I
have used mine for months at a time.

The total weight of the big three above is: about 7.5 pounds.  OK you can go
lighter than this, but this is what I like.

All of the other items I use are based on years and miles of use and changes
based on when and where I am hiking.

*StarMan*