[pct-l] $240 in Section C

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Apr 18 11:53:12 CDT 2008

Albach wrote:
> I have @$300 in REI credits / checks from Christmas and am going to
> tackle section C sometime in the next two months.

Most of my gear did not come from REI. A lot of my clothing did.

> So the question I put before the group here is how might you spend
> that money for the best bang for the buck?

A Marmot Dri-Clime windshirt will use up 1/3 of it.

> My backpack is close to 20 years old weighs in at about 5 lbs.

You can, and should, go lighter. I like the ULA Circuit, but you won't
find it at REI.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm

> but is comfortable. and isn't falling apart, sleeping bag is of
> similar age allegedly rated at 20lbs., I use First Need water filter
> (again 20 years old - new filter unit)

You might consider an MSR Hyperflow. REI a has it. Filter plus case plus
residual water in the filter comes to 9 ounces. The Nalgene bottle
adapter adds another 1.2 ounces, if you decide to carry it.

> and these are my heaviest items outside of new SnowPeak canned fuel
> canister.

Consider an alcohol stove.

I have only spent $200 of your $300....

Injinji socks? Tilley hat? Sun protectant shirt and pants?