[pct-l] thus behaving badly

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Apr 18 15:22:06 CDT 2008

I'm going to post this because I detest seeing someone who is on the trail
and unable to defend themselves maligned.

The hiker in question, Wheeew, was here and I got her side of the story in
person. For the record, I consider Bob Mayon over at Hiker Town a friend and
I didn't get to hear his side (his blog was down when I got to their site).
I think it's important to note that Bob was following instructions -- Wheeew
was told that the owner of the property at Hiker Town is the one who issued
the order to have the hiker leave and lock her out of the property.

There was advance communication between Bob and Wheeew about the zero day
that was going to be taken there, and it was communicated to her that if no
one was going to be there, a key would be left so that she could let herself
in.  So the understanding was that if Bob could not be there, she could
still stay.  She planned her strategy around taking a zero (based on the
correspondence with Bob).  He was there when she arrived though, and fed her
and put her up for the night. All was well up to this point, according to
Wheeew.

When she was told that she had to leave (at approximately 6:00 a.m.) to
cross the Mojave on a 90+ degree day, she was completely blindsided and
upset, feeling unprepared to face one of the most infamously nasty stretches
of the trail. Mind you, she was doing Section E first as a shake-out hike,
so she didn't have 500+ miles under her belt already.

The hiker did nothing to deserve being dumped in the desert unexpectedly
after a promise of a zero day. Perhaps her attitude afterward getting the
news was less than stellar, I wasn’t there and cannot say. I can attest that
Wheeew's behavior and attitude here has been perfectly acceptable -- she
started her hike here and returned again when she completed Section E. She
is an extremely nice lady and is welcome here any time.

Yes, hikers need to be thankful for what they receive from anyone, and no
one owes them anything. Hikers with entitlement attitudes need their behinds
kicked.

OTOH, if one of us in the hiker support network commit to helping a hiker,
and they are counting on us to do so, it's important that we follow through
with our commitment and not let them down.  They may earn a drop-kick out
the door once they arrive, but pulling the rug out from under them without
justification is another thing altogether.

Right or wrong, hikers have come to depend upon trail angels to be there to
help them.  And, they have every right to expect our help if we put
ourselves out there telling them then CAN depend on us to be there. If all
you provide is random or selective support, but sure people know that up
front. If hikers can't depend on trail support, don't advertise that you're
there to help them -- period.

Committed to helping hikers, and probably commitable,

L-Rod

p.s.  Thank you notes are nice, but personally I would much rather that
hikers show their appreciation by joining the PCTA, and by doing at least
one day of trail work when their hike is through, more if possible.  Thank
you notes go in a drawer and collect dust.  PCTA membership protects and
preserves the trail.