[pct-l] Hikertown guests of 2008

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Fri Apr 18 16:00:30 CDT 2008

I'd like to make a comment about this, from me personally, not as list admin.

The hiker in question was doing her **FIRST** section of the PCT.

I think that is one of the most interesting aspects of this story.

If we start at Campo, the trail makes most of us different people by
the time we get north of Los Angeles and hit the Mojave,

We have learned not to have expectations, and we have learned how to
be flexible.  We have learned how to roll with the punches. Most of
those who are unable to learn this have already gone home.

Each expectation we carry is like picking up a 5 lb rock and carrying
it in our pack. We are much better off without them. This doesn't mean
"don't plan," but is is wise to remember "that plans are useless but
planning is indispensable." Expect that your plans are going to
change; sometimes with very little notice.

It sounds like the hiker in question caused conflict when something
forced her plans to change, and she felt the need to place blame. I'm
sure she wasted a lot of energy by causing herself personal upset.
This doesn't excuse bad behavior on anyone's part, but it might
explain it. Or not. I've discovered that 10% of any group of people
are assholes.

If you think this is interesting, you enjoy Spirit Eagle's Thruhiking
Papers at http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20reality.html

And to the class of 2008, I'll be honest with you. If we meet at the
ADZ (I'll' be there Saturday with Craig Giffen of PCTPlanner.com fame
who is visiting from Portland) I probably won't feel that we have much
in common... yet. But if we meet again next year, after the trail has
changed you, things will be very different.

And for those of you who know me, I did an Ironman Triathlon last
Sunday. It was a piece of cake compared to a thru hike. Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21861&l=bf770&id=719633494

HYOH.

Brick