[pct-l] thus behaving badly

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Apr 18 19:44:06 CDT 2008

I've been avoiding becoming part of this thread because it is so close
to the heart of my professional and personal interests.  I'm 55 years
old.  I went to work for Oglala Lakota College (OLC) in 2005 to start a
social work program/degree.  For those of you in academia, you know how
rare it is for one person to be able start a whole
department/curriculum/program.

I'm all about going as far upstream as possible to deal with social
problems.  My focus is prevention and wellness promotion.  When you move
upstream in your perspective, you no longer look at individuals for
data.  Data comes from surveys, from archival sources.  Decisions about
what to do are made on the basis of individual cases aggregated into
wholes that you hope are generalizable back to the population from which
the data was gathered.

When you go upstream you start working in the realm of norms and causes
and really slow paces of change.  Most people aren't willing - or
perhaps able - to discipline themselves to slow down and become wise.
Most of us that actually achieve an historical perspective beyond our
own lives do so from the weight of personal experience - we learn to
recognize patterns.  There are many people who do so from their
educations - you don't need to be 60 years old to "understand" how
things work.

Behaving badly is something we all do...  Think about it.  Think about
the vitriol within this thread.  We all hurt and deal with it by
inflicting it on others.  All and each of us...

One of the things you younger persons will learn when you head out on
the trail by yourself for any length of time is how hard it is to be by
yourself.  Older persons, if they develop perspective, have learned this
from years being alive.  You younger people are heading out with no idea
what you're going to encounter.  You think that the hurdles will be
physical.  That may be, but overall, the hurdles are all
emotional/mental.  Many older persons will too - I don't mean to
bifurcate...

What's hard, is dealing with the suddenly freed emotions.  No longer is
there a social world within which you find standards for feeling and
behaving.  What is and isn't acceptable is a fond remembrance, one that
sometimes becomes longed for.  What's real is the ongoing, never-ending,
so, so present pain...

Freed emotions equals emotional pain.  I couldn't deal with the pain on
the three or four long section hikes I've taken.  I had to leave the
trail, and cut off the opportunity the pain presented me.  I wasn't up
to dealing with it.  I wasn't up to hiking alone, day after day after day.

So what is this leading to?  Thru-hiking offers the possibility to feel
compassion for oneself.  Plain and simple.  Most people who hike alone -
read their journals - either don't get there, or can't handle the
responsibility.  The emotional pain is too intense.  In 2010  or 2011
I'll be advertising for a like-minded 55 - 60 year old woman to hike the
CDT with me.  My best experience on a long hike was with someone I loved
and cared for deeply...  I never want to hike for more than a couple
weeks alone again.

What does it mean to feel compassion for oneself??  The effects of this
is the inability to judge another person by their actions.  How can you
judge someone else when you are unable to judge yourself - that "I" have
to accept I am weak, needy, hurting, and more deeply, driven by an
intense pattern of being-dissatisfied with my life?"

There is simply an inability to do something that is so normal most
people don't think about it.  This is the wisdom gained from
long-distance hiking...  I have learned from hiking that when I judge
the actions of another, I am hurting and not dealing with it very
well...  Plain and simple...

When I was hiking in 2005 I was told that the trail angels in Etna were
disgusted with hikers because of their bad behavior.  No more hikers.
No more deals.  No more welcomes.  Luckily, the immediacy of having good
intentions taken advantage of washed over and the deeper, more
meaningful intentions re-emerged.  A few jerks don't screw it up for the
rest of us.  Trail angels who adopt the role year after year have to go
through a maturation process just like us on the trail.  There will
always be the narcissistic, blind, "i'm the center of the universe"
person to deal with...  The threads of the last day offering ways to
give back what was given obviate the damage done by little people/minds
- those who hurt so intensely their worlds are tiny, tiny,

I'll end this with an entreaty to feel compassion for the hiker who
feels so much pain they inflict it on others.  We all have done it, in
our own ways.  Grow into a bigger world and work to help others do the
same.  What else is there??????

Jeff, just Jeff (said to the rhythm of "Bond, James Bond.")