[pct-l] Private vs Public Journals

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sun Apr 20 12:53:34 CDT 2008

Since the blog entry posted at hikertown seemed to be posted in response to an entry posted at trailjournals, I think some people are not making the distinction between a private and public journal when they are writing.

Yes, a journal to put down your thoughts and emotions when going through a stressful situation is a good thing.  It can be great to look back at that time years latter and remember all that you were feeling at that time.  However, such private thoughts should be kept private.  If they are ever published, it is best done so after your death by your relatives trying to cash in on your fame. :p

A public journal is indeed just that, public.  The purpose and content of a public journal should be different then what you would normally journal in private about.  You have to consider how what you write will be understood by others.  There are many things that we think or judgements that we make that if expressed out loud, can cuase offense or anger in others.  Some things are just better off not said in public.

I think many people would be well served if they kept 2 journals.  One online that has been censored and a private one that has all the juicy details (despite the howls off some armchair hikers wanted to read it all and complain latter). ;)

Just my thoughts on this matter.
-Sean