[pct-l] heel calluses

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Apr 21 09:31:50 CDT 2008

Good morning, Bryce,

I have long been troubled with dry skin, and the outer edges of my heals
seem to crack the most.  I find it is important to regularly remove dry skin
before it becomes sufficiently thick to crack.  Once the cracking begins
it's difficult to stop, and it cane become very painful -- almost as painful
as plantar fasciitis.

The best item I've found to remove dry skin is a mesh sandpaper product sold
for finishing dry-wall (sheetrock).  It looks like a fine mesh screen, the
fabric of which is covered on both sides with abrasive.  The open mesh lets
the accumulated skin powder fall out rather than staying and clogging as
what happens with sandpaper.  The stuff is sold in pieces 4.25" wide and
about 12" long to fit on the pad of an orbital sander.  I cut those pieces
into cross-strips 1.38" wide.  Each resulting strip weighs 2.22 grams.  A
fresh strip is included in every resupply box, and in use they easily last
that long.

I alsouse various softeners to help reduce and heal the cracking, but most
of them collect considerable dirt if they are left on while hiking.

Steel-Eye