[pct-l] Will we really do anything?

Ezperanza ezpy at northgare.net
Mon Apr 21 15:43:32 CDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes wrote:

> The last thing bothering me is this fear of the desert. I imagine we
> all fear what we're not used to. I fear the snow and raging rivers
> myself. However, this dread of the "desert" section, as if it's an
> ugly hell on earth one has to endure to get to the good stuff, kind
> of baffles me. The desert is beautiful. I'm sure you'll see more
> variety of life there than anywhere else.
>
> Most of this so-called "desert" people are dreading isn't desert at
> all. Chaparral isn't desert. It's an elfin forest. I promise if you
> go in to the desert -- even the real desert -- with an attitude of
> gratitude you'll see the beauty.
>
> And if it is heat you're fearing, you can survive the heat. 100
> degrees really isn't that bad when you are in good physical shape.
>
> I sometimes hike in hot, waterless conditions and the key (for me) is
> not to stop too much -- especially not in the sun, to sip (not chug)
> water all the time so I don't dehydrate (at least not too much),
> protect myself from the sun, and take advantage of any breeze and any
> shade. The reason I don't stop very much is because sometimes it
> feels hotter to stop than to keep going if there's no breeze. But
> when I do take a break it's somewhere breezy and shady if at all
> possible.

Hi all,

I don't feel able to comment on the "anything" issue because all my
hiking has been on trips of less than 10 days, not (yet) on the epic
scale of the PCT.

But I did want to talk about the desert issue.  As a fellow Southern
Cal person, I grew up and have done most of my hiking in the Southern
Sierras and Mojove deserts.  Whether it's the heat or the emptiness,
I don't fear it -- just love its beauty.  However, last year I went
on a late Spring Joshua Tree weekend backpacking trip with a friend
from Ohio.  She's in MUCH better shape than me, having recently
competed the New Zealand ironman and section hiked at the rate of
about 17 miles a day, most of the AT.  Having hiked with her
throughout West Virgina, I expected her to, as usual, totally
outclass me in speed and distance and for me to struggle to keep pace.

Quite the opposite ended up being true.  My friend is used to hiking
in warm but humid weather (weather which lays me out) and the dryness
at 90+ degrees in Joshua Tree flattened her so much we ended up
cutting our milage down.  Though she was staying hydrated and
drinking more than our other friend and me combined, the first day
she was flushed so red I thought she was severely sunburned only to
discover that evening her body had just been reacting to the heat.

She also was totally impressed by the beauty (who wouldn't be) but
kept saying how exposed the landscape made her feel and how anxious
she felt about our water situation even though we were never very far
away from a hike out point, something she also knew.

On the other hand, I know that when I lived in Louisiana, the first
year I could barely walk a mile once the heat and humidity set in.  I
marveled at people who could garden in it.

My point is that I believe we're all used to different conditions and
for people who live most of their lives in climates where heat =
humidity, the desert can be an alien experience that some find it
hard to prepare for and takes some time to adapt to.

Pax,

Ezpy