[pct-l] Bailing out at Big Bear??

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Mon Apr 21 15:43:41 CDT 2008

> Word is that Baden Powell is impassable right now too,

> Complicating matters is news that
>  Fuller Ridge is nearly impassable and I'll need to find a way around it.

"Impassable" is a big word. I've stood on top of Baden Powell in the
middle of winter with about 10ft of snow on the ground. I've traversed
the PCT when we did not see any dirt (only snow) from Strawberry
Junction to Black Mountain Road.

Neither was "Impassable."

Actually, neither was much different than what early season thrus will
find in the Sierra.

That being said, an ice axe, and some snow travel skills were very
necessary, and since both Fuller ridge and Baden Powell have easy road
walks around, if you don't have an ice axe or snow skills, discretion
is always the better part of valor.