[pct-l] Water & Trail Report Big Bear Area

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 16:07:38 CDT 2008

Absolutely, people just don't want to leave the trail.

In 2002, the Kelso Valley Rd. area had NO water, despite the angel's "promise" to stock the cache.  I quote "promise" because what's owed is really open to debate.  On one hand, yes, hikers depend on this help, and this angel's word, to make it through.  On the other, we're talking about an older lady lugging heavy containers up dirt roads on her dime -- if she misses a drop, maybe we shouldn't be all that hard on her.

[prepare for pct-hiker repeating a story some of you have already heard from me]

When I hiked, it was totally dry, and I was furious at the angel and at my fellow hikers for cameling up and taking all the water they could carry, as opposed to just what was necessary to get to the next off-trail source.  In hindsight, only that second group really deserves any of those thoughts.  One hiker left water on-trail, with directions to a nearby cache.  I gratefully downed the water, hiked down the 3/4 mile, got all the water I needed, refilled the bottles the previous hiker left, and when I rejoined the trail I left the bottles along with updated instructions on where to find the best water.

What did the next hikers do?  Drank the water, and took the note, on the assumption that nobody behind them would need it (as they weren't going to replenish the water).

In the mojave basin, I had no problem at all with water.  I just hiked slowly, at night, and took breaks.  It's all about strategy, and if what I'm hearing from this list is any indicator, thru hikers these days know less and less about strategy and planning, relying more on angels and their own sense of entitlement.

While my hike through the heat over about 40 miles of dry trail took a toll, and was difficult, it's not as if there was really NO water.  I just had to go off trail to get it and treat it.  That, plus night hiking, water conservation, etc. got me through the Kelso Valley area just fine, and was a defining experience in my hike.  Also, it made me appreciate the help of trail angels a hundred times more than I had before.

Maybe a year or two of NO caches would correct the attitude issues the trail community is seeing.

Iron Chef