[pct-l] dishes and bathing on the trail

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 07:06:00 CDT 2008

Some cleaning up ideas:

Dishes: I hate doing dishes on the trail. I hate doing dishes
anytime. While on our thru hike in 2005, we only had to wash our pot
twice and that was because we had found edible mushrooms on the trail
and cooked them in oil in our pot.  (Luckily for me, Mongous really
knows his mushrooms!  Morels and gem-studded puffballs. I don't
recommend eating mushrooms unless you are certain on
identification.)  We used our cups to rehydrate our breakfast oatmeal
and we used the container of dehydrated meals or quart zip-loc bags
to rehydrate dinner. The dinner bags went into my fleece hat to stay
warm while rehydrating.  (I know there are lots of concerns about
plastics, especially heated plastic.  Do what seems okay to you.)  We
then just had our cups to clean and used the "backpacker tea" method
mentioned by others, saving a bit of our heated water to pour in our
cups, use the back of our spoons in circular motions to get all the
food bits off and then drink the tea.  There is something nice about
the after  dinner routine, savoring every morsel of food.  The
garbage from the day goes into the zip-loc bag and back into the food
bag with the other smellables for disposal in town.

Bathing:  I use gallon zip-loc bags, bandanas and baby wipes.  Fill
two one-gallon zip-loc bags at the water source and walk a couple
hundred feet away.  Prop your zip locs carefully among rocks, your
shoes, pack, whatever, so they can stay open while you wash up.  Use
a baby wipe to wipe off the dirt, use one of the zip locs to rinse it
out and keep using it as a washcloth.  The little bit of soap in it
is all you need.  Wash up (dirtiest parts last).  Use your bandana
and the other gallon bag of water to rinse off.   If it isn't windy
or warm enough to air dry, then use another bandana (or a small camp
towel) to speed up the drying process. Rinse out your bandana in the
last of the rinse water.  If there is any water left, toss it in an
arc onto the land around you.  Hang your bandana and camp towel on
the back of your pack with baby diaper pins.

Washing out undies & socks:  I carried a basin we made out of the
bottom of a plastic 5 gallon water container that we found on the
trail (between Campo and Lake Morena, no less.)   This basin comes in
handy for many things, including helping you collect water from a
tiny trickle.  You can use a drop of CampSuds if you want.  (Soap is
just a surfactant, loosing the dirt from the object you are
cleaning.  Plain water will do the same thing eventually.)  Remember
to do this at least 200 ft away from a stream. Scatter water.   Hang
washed items on your pack with your baby diaper pins and hike until
dry.  (It helps to have brightly colored underwear.)

We also carried alcohol gel in our bag with our toilet paper, baby
wipes and trowel.

Happy trails,
Lookout
http://trailjournals.com/lookoutandmongous/