[pct-l] 2008 Kickoff After Action Report

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 23:25:03 CDT 2008

Yes, once again, your pal, Switchback,  to the disappointment of the many and
the joy of the few, has cheated death  once again.  This time at the Lake
Morena PCT Kickoff.  This was the  best and biggest Kickoff ever --- lots of
things to do.  Everyone did a  great job pulling this off.  Wow --- what a herd
effect.  A few  observations:
1.  I arrived at Warner Springs  Resort on Wednesday after stopping at a
Harley shop and a chopper shop.   Both were close by before I drove over to Warner
Springs from  I15.
2.  The dinners Wednesday and  Thursday night were great in the lodge dinner
room with about 20 hikers each  night.  It was a great time.
3.  The hot/cool pools at the resort  were great.  What a neat place to relax
at the end of section A.  On  Thursday I went to the SD airport and picked up
LuLuLupie --- LaZorra's  friend.  I spend some time on the computers at the
lodge looking up trikes,  motorcycles, etc.  Then the thru hikers would chase
me away, so they could  do their journaling.
4.  On Friday morning LuLu and I  gave a lift to Moonshiner and his new wife
(honeymooning by a thru hike)  near Sissor's Crossing.  We headed to Julian
for breakfast and some  shopping --- of course, as host I bought.  Then down to
Lake  Morena.
5.  Unsupported Reinhold arrived at  our campsite and gave me a neat pirate
ball cap.  His wife was sick and  could not come too --- hope she is feeling
better.  That left it up to me  to keep him under control and not going farther
over to the Dark Side.  All  I can say is that I did my best.
6.  Meadow's Ed and others gave me  some nice pirate gifts.  Others came up
to me and told me how much they  enjoyed my posts.  Of course, I knew the
lurkers out in the park, who did  not enjoy my posts.  Heh, heh, heh.
7.  Yogi did a great job in  reformatting my Hiker Trail Conduct flyer.  It
was posted around the  park.  A number of people told me they appreciated it.
8.  L-Rod's poster was a big hit and  even the WagonMaster happily signed it.
 It just goes to show the common  love of the trail will overcome any
differences.  I sure appreciate  Lightning Rod supporting the Kickoff through the
Pirate's Lair.
9.  Someone TP'd my Pirate Lair  table area while I was out goofing off.  I
strongly suspect who this  was.  I know it had to be that infamous trail-water
mad  scientist, AsABat.  But I cannot actually catch him doing it each  year.
10.  Also, Stinker the Lair Mascot  Skunk was a big hit too.  The hiker babes
wanted to pet him.  The  SuperSecret Seminar had the most attendees ever ---
about 40 people.   Again, the handsfree umbrella holder was a hit along with
shelter stake  painting.
11.  Lots of people had their Billy  Goat Fan Club picture tee-shirt on.  I
had one with Billy Goat and L-Rod's  pictures.
12.  I was in-charge of the Hiker  Box this year at campsite #22 and it was
very well used.  People were  dropping and picking up things all the time.
13.  Saturday afternoon I took LuLu  and LaZorra over to Pine Valley for
lunch at Major's.  After that we  thought we would take LuLu to see the border
monument  I told them a road  on the way back was a shortcut.  Four hours later
we arrived back at Lake  Morena after ending up in San Diego the back way.
14.  Lot of gear was on  display.  I especially like the Six Moons 360
viewing netting tent with the  Gatewood Cape as a fly.  All for 17 ounces.
15.  I woke up very early Sunday and  after a shower, I headed down to the
food area.  I was the first one in  line when they said breakfast was open for
"2008 Thru Hikers".  I am glad  Meadow's Ed was not around or he would have
kicked me out of there --- he is  very observant.
16.  After dropping LuLu off at the  SD airport, I headed back to Las Vegas.

All and all a really good time.   Lots of friendship and camaraderie ---
everyone was nice to me and did not try  to ban me from the park, etc.  The
weather was great too, but the wind did  picked up Sunday morning.

Respectfully submitted, Switchback the  Trail Pirate

listings at AOL Autos.