[pct-l] Apache Fire

Jan Gnass jgnass3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 21:28:10 CDT 2008

Now is a good time to get on my fire prevention soap box just for a bit.
Two of the main factors that influence fire spread in wildland fires are 1.
wind   2. slope. Fires tend to burn with the wind and uphill. The Apache
fire had no where to go but uphill and with a good wind on it.
Any time the wind is blowing strong enough to blow ground litter around such
as leaves, that's a good time to refrain from lighting any ignition source
e.g.match, bic lighter, alcohol stove, cigarrette, or burning your toilet
paper.
On the back of your California Campfire Permit  there is a section on
Liability referencing the Calif. Health and Safety Code 13009 which says
"You are liable for the cost of suppression and damages caused by any
wildfire that starts through your negligence."
The Apache fire will probably go on the better part of a week and it's going
to run up quite a large tab. One that few of us would be able to afford.
On the front of the permit two of the four requirements for having a
campfire, which includes the cool little stoves we use, are a minimum of 5
ft. clearance in all directions and to have a shovel available at the site.
In the wind 10 ft of clearance is probably not adequate & most of us won't
have the latter. I intend to leave mine at home. It's just way too heary.
So before lighting the fire just take a look around and check the wind
conditions and the slope you might be on. Then if you err, err on the side
of safety and enjoy a cold meal.
traildog - Fire Captain Retired, CDF