[pct-l] Moleskin sticking...

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:29:57 CDT 2008

I don't know if tincture of benzoin helps with a sticking problem, but it
has been used for years, as in at least 55, from the days I canned green
beans for Del Monte Corp. in Oregon, as a skin toughener.  We used it
especially on the underside of our wrists to avoid the rash that was almost
inevitable given the wet beans we were working with.  Our gloves came to
just above the wrists, but the 'juice' often ran down inside.
Also, I use, along with the benzoin, the biggest callus protectors, oval
shaped with a hole in the middle for the blister, if small enough, to fit
inside without popping it.  If I have to pop the blister, I tried to do it
on the furtherst edge possible from the center, so the skin will stay in
place while the blister heals.  The benzoin toughens the skin to help that
happen.  I haven't hiked even short trails for several years, and I'm sure
there are many newer choices for blister treatment out there, but this
method has almost always worked for me.
FireFly