[pct-l] Karen is heading home on the bus

NC Murtaugh hikingis4me2 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 16:56:07 CDT 2008

Yesterday afternoon Mother Goose and I saw Karen at a campsite by herself at South Matthieu Lake.  The day before her boyfriend and hiking companion, Ninja Tortise, had left her with no shelter or way to purify her water, saying, "See you in September."  She attempted to get back to her home in Eugene via McKenzie Highway westbound, which is  closed for bridge work, but the workers and a woman from the forest service refused to help.  She then hiked back to South Matthieu Lake.  She was able to get water from passing hikers.

We packed her up and brought her to our campsite at North Matthieu Lake.  We used my rain fly as a makeshift tarp so that she had some form of shelter.  We also gave her filtered water.

This morning the three of us hiked out and went eastbound on McKenzie  Highway.  After walking for 4-5 miles, we were able to get a ride to Sisters with one of the workers.  We are happy to report that Karen was able to get a bus to Eugene in front of the restaurant where we ate lunch.

Lost and Found