[pct-l] Level playing field

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Aug 12 09:46:44 CDT 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 7:16 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> The other hikers don't worry about your hike. They are busy doing
> their own thing.

This is not true. If it was true then all these hikers wouldn't be so
star-struck when they see Scott Williamson on the trail.

Nor would they be so obviously feeling superior when they reach some
other hikers who are camped and casually declare that they're going
to "put in a few more miles". And they wouldn't be feeling sorry for
themselves, saying such things as "man you guys are like hiking
machines", or "I just can't keep up with you" when here they are in
the exact same place only minutes apart. And they certainly wouldn't
notice whose foot prints are on the trail in front of them or who
signed the register and how far ahead they were.

Sometimes I felt the trail was too darned competitive, knowing darn
well I was as much a part of the problem as anybody out there.