[pct-l] The changing culture of connectivity

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 22:29:26 CDT 2008

(I promise this ain't a review of FIDO, BINGO, SPOT or ROVER... ;-) )

>>Let me ask you what YOUR ALTERNATE plan would be
  >>   A. carry 3 or 4 cellphones each with a alternate carrier.
  >>        maybe you can get through.( need chargers also )
  >>   B get a satellite phone. expensive to rent or buy.
  >>   C. get a ham radio.
  >>   D. Only hike on high ridges
  >>   E. DON'T GO HIKING

F. Maybe just go for a simple walk? :)

I had similar discussions before...

On a philosophical note, the continuing  publicity for items like ROVER are starting to
worry me.

I have nothing against cell phones in the backcountry for emergencies,
or FIDO or similar devices (as long as the advertisement is true..which does not seem to be the case!
:D)

But, we are getting to the point where it is expected EVERYONE should have a device of some sort.

We are increasingly becoming a 24/7 connected culture. Where the line between work and recreation, solo time and public time  is getting increasingly blurred.

If you hike solo, you are already an aberration.
If you spend your free time "off the grid", you are not a good team player.

I suspect in the near future, where 24/7 connection to the "real world"
is both technologically feasible AND affordable, the days of unplugging
yourself will be frowned upon. Not just for emergency use, for everyday
use. My friends find it funny that I do not check my e-mail on weekends
and that I will (gasp) turn off my phone. How am I supposed to be
reached at all times?

Even the "officials" are starting to assume everyone is connected 24/7:

"Carry a cell phone.

Always a good tip whenever you are enjoying a Jefferson County Open
Space park, however realize that reception may not be available in all
areas."

I am afraid this expected 24/7 connectivity will be increasingly common in the years to come.
Not just on a technological level...but on a cultural level, too.

We are getting to the point where it is no longer your preference to stay connected
...but it is EXPECTED to be connected.

Your employer, your family, the SAR folks, people who administer the outdoors. Marketing people!

Again, it is a cultural change.

Even on these long distance hiker e-lists, among the first questions people ask is
not so much about resupply, or gear or what are the views are like but rather
 "How do I stay connected while on the trail?".

And that's why I think in the very near future, it will be expected to be connected 24/7.

Again, it is a new culture.

Where the line between work/social time is being blurred. Where being
connected/disconnected is being blurred as well. It is just assumed you
can work and be available to work at all times. It is expected you will
always have access to communication.

That same mentality will be in the backcountry soon.

I want to emphasize I am not one of those people who think my way is
the only or best way, or that is bad to be connected  but it is getting to the point
where culturally, being connected 24/7 *IS* the correct and only way. Be it at home, in the office
or anywhere.

I am not debating if connectivity is good or bad. That is a rube's game and an argument that can't be won.

My point is that the culture is changing and that connectivity is expected now.
It is no longer a luxury..but an expected right.
And that culture just assumes that everyone else will and should be connected, too.

Is it bad? Is it good? I don't know. But it is different....

Sorry for the rambling discussion; I tend like these meta discussions more.
Easier to talk about water treatment/stoves/and other "nuts and bolts" issues  perhaps. But
I think it is good to think about why we are out there in the first place and what may
or may not change that perception.

Just my opinion. Like a certain part of the human anatomy, we all have one...and they all stink.
:)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com