[pct-l] The changing culture of connectivity

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Aug 13 09:26:00 CDT 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:21 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> On a philosophical note, the continuing  publicity for items like
> ROVER are starting to
> worry me.
>
> I have nothing against cell phones in the backcountry for emergencies,
> or FIDO or similar devices (as long as the advertisement is
> true..which does not seem to be the case!
> :D)
>
> But, we are getting to the point where it is expected EVERYONE
> should have a device of some sort.

I agree. And if we're all expected to have one, we're also expected
to pay for one. And if we do that then we have to work all the time
because now the cost of living has gone up. It's a conspiracy to keep
up tied into the corporate-controlled world. Who can quit their jobs
to thru-hike and thus learn about non-materialism if they have so
many expensive things to pay for?

Ironically, I accidentally brought my cellphone with me because I
forgot to put it in my bounce bucket. I was only going to use it in
town. But it turned out to be very nice to have on the trail. I could
call family when I was lonely, and I even would call them to look up
road maps online for me to tell me how to get places. Once I called a
cab, too, and saved myself a long road walk in the desert.

So I don't have anything against devices. Like you I'm against the
cultural assumption that you are irresponsible not to.