[pct-l] How about we compost this whole mess?

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 23:49:18 CDT 2008

> When I have a bad day at work, I promise to go to PCT-L and rip you a new one

Dear Joe,

Please don't.

Some people seem to believe that the PCT-L is a place for public nastiness; I wish we could have a separate list for people who feel the need to make it that like. I come here to be a part of the trail community for the 23/24 of the year when I can't be on the trail. It has, of late, been feeling less like a friendly community and more of a street brawl.

During your hike I had the privilege of meeting Scott's wife. One of our conversations turned to some of the unpleasant things said through the PCT-L regarding your hike; the personal attacks she got had left her with a sour taste. That is tragic to me. You are role models, so let's keep it friendly...and extend it to your families. I have no problem with debating issues, but we can at least be civil.

And yes, I am a "trail heavyweight" who can only hike about 13 miles a day before my feet absolutely crumple. But while hiking, even when it is seven miles from camp to camp, we kept the best LNT camp we could and packed out as much of other people's trash as we could. I am glad you amended it to say "you don't care how or how much a person hikes", but I do feel slammed for not being able to keep up with 40 mile days. I "only" hiked 130 miles this summer...but it's the most I've ever done. So I'm proud of that accomplishment for what it means to me.

To all, please put this to bed. Joe, I wish you the best back at work...I know it is hard to return to the real world.

Chipmunk,
AKA Suzannah Swinehart