[pct-l] PEACE EVERYONE!

Joanne Lennox goforth at cio.net
Sat Aug 23 16:41:38 CDT 2008

Let me get this straight - you have instituted a rule ( for everybody) That
a Speed record is only a RECORD if it is  announced in advance of the hike??
I can not see any basis for this. So if you go faster on your thruhike it
doesn't count unless you have the intent to outcompete the PRIOR record?
Certainly Jenny and Ray Jardine did not announce when they were going to
finish.  Did you announce when you were going to finish? So you were not
hikng your own hike but comparing yourself from the outset against somebody
else hike.

  This has nothing to do with speed

In my book thruhiking is not nearly as important as treating all people with
respect.  In your book, if somebody disagrees with you , they deserve
disrepect.

I talked to The person who has maintained 40 miles of the PCT in the fire
zone that you went through( before you went through).  They were not
allowing him in to do the maintenence.  Exactly WHO told you that you could
go through the closure.

When I was doing the Continental Divide, they closed all the National
Forests North of Grants, New Mexico and on the very day that I got to Grants
to resupply.  There were no fires in the 3 National forests that I was going
through, but every road and trail was closed.  I talked to The FS supervisor
in Grants,  They said they would allow me a transit, and I would have to
have written permission and a release, but I could not go off my designated
route to get water.  Without water, it was a mute point. They said they
planned to patrol with helocopters, and I would be ticketed if spotted.  I
crossed the Navaho INdian reservation for 300 miles.  It was quite a trip,
and certainly not easy and I ended up doing a completely different route
thereafter as I was on the "wrong"side of the divide from all my planning.
I would never have crossed the closure without permission, I simply do not
feel I have any more right than any other hiker or any other person to
disobey rules put out to protect the forest and the people that use it.  The
Forest Service will have a record of your permission and crossing if it is
actually legitimate, and nobody here has heard their side of this story.

Two people from my area were killed in that fire - one from a falling tree,
and one when the wind shifted suddenly.  It was not a trite thing to cross
the closure and go into a actively burning area.  You have done everything
you can to make this matter worse by simply dismissing your detractors out
of hand rather than taking responsibility for what you did.  Even Scott's
wife Michelle recommend that peole not cross the closure:
(" Yes Scott & Joe hiked the closure.  Not  recommended.  Scott did get
water
poured on him by a helicopter and  the police and fire fighters did catch
them
but no one was hurt and no one was  fined.  It was a exciting and extremely
scary day on the trail  for them and a frightening one for us family
members.
Please everyone  be safe, it can be dangerous out there.
Michelle ").  And she says that you were "caught", which certainly implies
that you did not have permission.  Not being fined does not mean being given
permission.

Why is the record important to you anyway?? Why would you scheme for a whole
year anyway when you already had a speed record.  Unless the experience was
really unimportant to you -it is not what others think of you BUT WHAT YOU
THINK OF YOURSELF. Maybe it was the experience with Scott, I would not doubt
it must have been a very heady 2 months out there.  And now you are home,
and alas, work on Monday!  Physical strength, emotional strength - 2
differnet things.

Illegally crossing a fire closure as far as I am concerned, negates any
legitimacy for a "RECORD". You have been touting all the ethics of minimal
impact, and you completely disregard not just ethics of use, but regulations
in place for everybody. If you can pick and choose your ethics, I can pick
and choose who I believe to be legitimate- you're out and Scott is in.

Ta ta!!