[pct-l] Hikers are a bunch of Scofflaws

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sun Aug 24 20:07:02 CDT 2008

I'm sure such an imflammatory title caught several peoples attention.  :p  And as a hiker I guess I'm calling myself a scofflaw too.

As much as some of the recent topics have tempted me to throw a stone, I really have no right to do so since like many hikers, I'm guilty of violating some law or regulation; but I'm often tempted to throw away anyway. ;)  I don't want to be a criminal, but occasionally my own convience and selfish desires win out over the law of the land.

Lets list some of the more common crimes that hikers commit:
- Hitchiking where illegal (particularly in California and in National Parks which I'm certainly guilty of).
- Refusal to carry a bear can where required (at least be honest that you don't want to carry the weight and think you won't get caught instead of making up silly excuses.  I'll certainly respect your honesty if not your methods).
- Failure to properly secure your food in non bear can required areas according to the local agency's definition (ie. sleeping with food instead of hanging).
- Failure to obey local agency regulations on minimal camping distance from trail/water sources (camping on trail anyone?).
- Camping in a restricted area (say Saddle Junction in the San Jacinto Wilerness) or failling to camp in a designated camp area (say San Jacinto State Park).
-Failure to obey local fire restrictions.  Often while under restrictions in SoCal, alcohol and esbit stoves are illegal due to no shut off valve.  Some make illegal campfires or fail to get a California fire permit.
-Littering.  Some do it intentionally while most of us have accidentally done so.  Everyone has left something behind or lost something off their pack (though I'd like to think most of us pick up more then we leave).  Some try to burn stuff they know wont burn and leave it.  For some reseaon I'm finding a lot of small bungee cords and tent stakes this past year along with the usual water bottles instead of wrappers.
-Violating Trail closures (non fire).  Not everyone avoids the frog closure in the San Gabriels.
-Violating Fire Closures (this was a new one to me considering the size of the possible fines and the whole death thing).
-Running out on a tab/bill at a resupply point/trail town (fortunately doesn't happen often).
-Stealing someone else's gear (fortunately this seems to happen more on the AT and even then not often).
-Mailing restricted/flammable substances without proper labeling/precautions (say fuel such as Esbit tabs; of course finding someone at the post office who knows the regulations is almost impossible).

I'm sure there are many more types of violations that I'm missing, but my mind can't imagine them.  What has surprised me of late is the focus on the whole fire closure thing when its usually the bear can issue that has the longest life on this list but I guess the usually suspects missed that detail (and please don't bring it up now since it will surface on it's own in a few months anyway.  Let's not start early this year).  As somone who has illegally hitchhiked or camped in a restricted area (just once, I swear), I really can't criticize people based on the legality of their behavior (unless it involves my property).  But I can talk about protecting wildlife and fines in relation to their actions.  So think of the bears and other wildlife your illegal ways are endangering and how many zero days are equivalent to the possible fines the next time you are out there doing wrong.  But, above all, lets remember that even a scofflaw is a person too and keep the discussion civil (unless it's about switchback).

-Sean