[pct-l] Has nothing to do with speed

Joanne Lennox goforth at cio.net
Mon Aug 25 11:58:57 CDT 2008

I have repeatedly said that I admire the strength and endurance of Joes and
Scotts hike.  I applaud their goal and I am anxious to hear the details. I
have never said anything negative about the speed of their hike.

Nor is there any post by me on this list , denigrating the speed  of any
hiker.

Reinholds hysteria that it is all because we are against speed records and
40 mile days; Joes response that he is being ridiculed and that none of us
are hikers or thurhikers or as experienced and therefore can not
understand.,  IS NOT A RESPONSE  TO THE DISCUSSION,  it is simply blaming
somebody else when they bring up an issue.

The issues that have been raised have nothing to do with speed.   And I have
not seen any reasoned response.  For all of you that say he just made a
mistake: All of Joe's responses have justified his decision, he does not
feel that he made a mistake   Rheinhold has repeatedly belittled people that
responded to these issues; These are serious issues that need discussion on
the list.  To say that this is all about  jealous cyberhikers slamming
thruhikers with a speed record is creating a smoke screen obscuring real and
important issues.  Rheinhold is good at smoke , I can not remember a time
that he has contributed in a reasoned way to a discussion.  I am hoping that
he will contribute .  So Rheinhold, at what point would you not cross a fire
closure zone?

Trail closures have continued  for many years in some areas (Glacier Peak),
fires closures are not going away, closures for endangered species and
protecting wildlife have already started and are slated for increases,
Restrictions of use by permitting, making designated campsites, closing for
restoration, restricted access, seasonal closures etc are bound to increase.
As a community, how do we deal with these problems.  Should everybody just
hike their own hike and do whatever they want?  Do we wait until the errors
and problems created by stupid unprepared people making bad judgements bring
beaurocrats to institute a bunch of regulations that remedies the situation
in a way that fundamentally restricts use and access of the PCT and changes
the thruhiking experience.  Forewarned is forearmed.. Better that we as a
group see the handwriting on the wall and come up with some alternatives to
regulations, and have discussions with the Forest Service, Park Service, the
PCTA, etc