[pct-l] Veggies on the trail

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Aug 29 21:25:12 CDT 2008

I feel like contributing but not writing...  I posted this a couple
years ago, the last time in February of 2007, sometime in 2005 before that...  It involves heating water, so it's not cookless. I have gone cookless, but not for any more than a couple weeks.  I don't know how eating goldfish and far east mix, and mealpack bars and nuts and chocolate can go.  I'd be interested in hearing some realistic ways to hike and not even boil water.

My favorite dinners are a compilation of cheap, healthy components.  There
are four basic levels.

The first level is the base; pasta, instant rice, cous cous, polenta (grits)
or potato flakes, my favorite.  4 oz for the first couple weeks, 6 oz for
the rest of the hike.

The second level is a dehydrated soup; split pea, black bean (with extra
salt) or my favorite, curried lentil.  2 oz for the first couple weeks, and
3-4 oz for the rest of the hike.

The third level is the "binder."  I never knew about binders until I got
disgusted with prepackaged freeze dried food - mostly price.  The binder is
the ingredient that ties everything else together.  Rice and black bean soup
mix gets old real fast.

The bind I favor is parmesian cheese - Kraft or some other generic version.
The stuff lasts forever and has good fat content.  For the first two weeks -
2oz, and 3 oz for the rest of the hike.  You can carry oil or margarine,
fake and tubbed, but I've found that good old Kraft Parmesian makes me smack
my lips as I wolf down dinner.  I usually include an ounce of 4% dehydrated
milk as another binder.

The fourth level is where you get creative, and can use the dehydrator.
Anything goes.  An oddity I like is to include dehydrated blueberries, an
ounce or two, in a dinner once in a while.  Vegetables, etc.   Whatever the
imagination can concoct.  If you use potato flakes, include fake margarine
and about three ounces per person of soy baco bits.  That's a lot of baco
bits, believe me...  They are salty and absolutely wonderful.  Potato flakes
makes the greatest volume per weight, but there are some issues with the
hypoglycemic spike some people might have to consider.

I package dinners at home in the same manner.  Use a gallon freezer bag to
put the rice/pasta/cous cous in.  Then put the soup in a quart sandwich bag.
Put the cheese in a quart sandwich bag.  Put both quart bags in the gallon
bag, seal the gallon bag so there is the least air in it as possible, and
then secure with a small strip of duct tape.

I know all these bags sounds wasteful and lots of extra weight, but being
able to get the water to boil, put in the instant rice, let it cook for 20
seconds, mix in the soup, turn off the stove, or some favorite order - makes
controlling the process easier.  Finally, you can either add the parmesian
just before serving to the whole pot, which means you have to spend more
time cleaning it, or to your individual servings, which means you only have
cheesy residue on your cup.  I fknow all this as I weight and measure and
bag and tape.  Experience has me do what works for me.

You can vary your dinners so you don't have the same dinner but twice a
month.  I found I preferred more curried lentil dinners and fewer black
beans.  I really liked potato dinners once a week.  They make a LOT of food
for the weight, and taste so, so, good with the margarine and baco bits.
I'm a little suspect about the potato dinner's nutrition, hence they are a
treat - once a week.

This stuff is all bought in bulk.  The idea of shopping as you go has its
fans, but I don't like leaving the trail, and I know what I will eat on the
trail.  Mac and cheese it ain't...  My package disappeared from the Big Lake
Religious camp and I had to hitch into Sisters for a resupply at the store
at the edge of town.  $50 for five days.  I figured that I was spending
about $4 a day if I ate nothing but bulk food.  My folks live in the bay
area and shipping the food was not that expensive.  I so appreciated my next
food drop at Timberline Lodge...  The store bought stuff just wasn't the
same.

When I added the mealpack bars, or power bars, or any of the "someone else
does the work" foods, the cost easily doubled.  That said, I'm a convert to
the 4oz bars you can buy for less than a buck at http://mealpack.com/.  You
get 440 calories for less than a buck!!!  You have to buy a minimum of 50
bars to get that price, but that's not a big deal.

Jeff, just Jeff...