[pct-l] instant mashed potatoes

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 11:09:35 CDT 2008

I ate instant mashed potatoes almost every night for my whole thru-hike, but like Jeff said, they need some dressing up. I added chedder cheese along with with bacon bits (real or soy), oil, salt and sometimes butter buds. Being a meat eater, I also often added a bit of leftover sandwich meat from my lunch bagel sandwich. Never got tired of of the potatoes, unless I ran out of cheese, but then I ate Grape-Nuts for breakfast every day for about 15 years too, also for breakfast on the PCT with powered milk. I ate about 2 lbs. of cheese a week, usually chedder but also Swiss if it was on sale. Chedder gets a bit runny if it gets too hot but it is still OK to eat. Also used it on my sandwich at lunch.

If anyone is interested, you can download the appendex to my PCT book for free, it is at
my Lulu store at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=955979

It has lots of info that might be of help to those of you planning your first PCT hike, including gear list, menu and links.

Vic, AKA Sugar Daddy, PCT '06