[pct-l] dangerous ford confusions in section H

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 14:09:40 CDT 2008

The Databook and the Guidebook are rather confusing
about the dangerous fords in H15.      You ford
North Fork Mono Creek twice, then Silver Pass Creek
twice.   The dangerous fords look to be the two in
the middle:

878   7900   first ford of North Fork Mono Creek,
             not dangerous
880.2 8940   second ford of North Fork Mono Creek,
             dangerous in season
881   9200   first ford of Silver Pass Creek,
             very dangerous in season
882   9800   second ford of Silver Pass Creek,
             not dangerous

I have trouble reconciling the mileages and elevations
between the text and the map for all but the
second of these.    The numbers I picked above are
just approximate.

Fortunately one never has to ford the main Mono Creek.

The ford of Bear Creek didn't make much impression;
I don't even remember which one it was.