[pct-l] PCT Thru-Hiker Missing in Glacier Peak Wilderness-NEED HELP NOW

Lawton Grinter lawtong at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 00:33:23 CDT 2008

Sam, this is Disco.  God bless you and thank you for your help with Lucky's search and rescue.  Thank you all on the pct-l for making phone calls on Lucky's behalf.  I am still in Stehekin and have been in touch with the Dinsmore's.  Andrea told me that the media has gotten wind of this and that a full blown SAR effort with helicopters is under way.  thank you for getting in touch with the authorities. Lucky is in his late 50's early 60's I would say.  He's got grey hair that is long and in a pony tail and a grey beard.  He's probably around 6 ft tall and 190 lbs.  He and his wife live in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I'm not sure if the authorities have this information but if they've been in touch with his wife they might.  Even if they talked to his wife they might not know that his grey hair has gotten long (neck length) and that he wears it in a pony tail now.   He did have a maildrop here in Stehekin and as of today (8-30) he has not picked it up.  All the hikers that have arrived here have taken the original PCT except for Crow who took the equestrian route/road walk and no one has seen him.  No one here has taken the detour but there is 2 section hiker guys that we ran into at the jct. of the buck creek pass trail yesterday (8-29) that know he's missing (they mentioned it to us) and that are currently headed sobo on the detour route as we speak.  They are the only 2 folks on the detour right now that I know of.  Andrea told me that more nobo pct hikers are headed out going north from stevens pass on the trail right now but I'm guessing that they are probably going to take the original pct as that seems to be the trail choice that thru-hikers are making right now. Let me know if you have anymore questions and please pass any of the above information along to law enforcement if you think it might be useful.   Park Ranger Jordan here in Stehekin told me that a 10-member Search And Rescue Team is going to be heading west towards the PCT tomorrow morning at 8 AM on the White River trail.   One other thing I want to mention is that as we were hiking up and onto the White Pass area I noticed that a faint trail headed northeast - east from the pass.  I've looked at numerous maps today of the White Pass area and haven't seen any trails that match this trail that I saw.  My guess is that this faint trail heads east up into the glaciers.  I think he just may have gone up there?  If he did and helicopters go out tomorrow they might be able to see him if he is up there. Lucky was carrying a black/grey tarp when he was in the so. cal section of the PCT.  I don't know if he had switched to a tent for Washington.  He had on tan pants and a tan shirt and I believe his backpack was an unassuming color also. this is all the info I have at the moment. Thanks again Sam, Best, Disco