[pct-l] Permits & Mt Whitney in particular

adrian.borner at ch.abb.com adrian.borner at ch.abb.com
Mon Dec 1 01:40:57 CST 2008

be aware that the Whitney permit which comes along with the Thru-Permit
only allows you to climb Mt Whitney from the West side, i.e. from the PCT
side and NOT from Whitney portal.
This September when I wanted to enter from Lone Pine / Whitney Portal I
had to get a new permit. Fortunately this was not a problem, especially
since I wanted to go up the  Mountaineering Route which I recommend very
much if you up to a bit of climbing. And the permit was even for free.
When I asked if I needed a bear canister, they told me just to hang the
food when I get to Iceberg Lake. However they did not explain to me how to
do this at 12'500ft, way above the tree line!!!
Well I survived it, also later in Yosemite where I did not have a Bear
Canister either since I did not realize that the rules had changed. But
then in Yosemite I had a long discussion with Ranger Liz Tuttle why I did
not have a canister, but in the end she did not fine me, just made me walk
a long way to a seemingly safe place.
Happy Trail
Adrian