[pct-l] permits

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 16:37:53 CST 2008

Canisters are not odor-proof and are easily found by a bear's sensitive nose. Before you bed down, place your canister at least 30 yards from your bed.....unless you don't mind Yogi trying to join you in the wee hours.  Standing up or lying down seems to make no difference. However, pick a spot where it won't roll away down the hill, never to be found again, or over a cliff if Yogi starts slapping it around. I put a strip of reflective tape around mine so that if it disappears, I can scan the brush with my light in hopes it will flash back at me.

Before bedtime, a vertical canister makes a nice dry camp seat, or a flat surface upon which to cook and later, eat or write in your journal. I strap the backpad from my pack to the canister to act as a windscreen for my stove. I HATE bending over to cook on the ground. Note that this is not an option with the Garcia can or the BearVault because you'll melt their lids. I have a Bearikade, which has all-metal ends.

Wandering Bob