[pct-l] permits

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Dec 1 18:31:39 CST 2008

Good afternoon, All,

Another important point about overnight storage is to avoid putting a bear
can in anything a bear can possibly grip with his mouth.  Don't leave it in
a pack; not in a plastic bag; not in one of those handy little sacks they
sell to carry the can; and don't even leave a strap, a rope, or duct-tape
handle attached.  A bear may pick up a bare can in camp and fiddle with it,
but it won't wander off with it on two hind legs.  Give the bear any kind of
way to grab it with his teeth, however, and it may go 500 yds. or a mile
before ditching it - unopened but hidden.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye