[pct-l] Editing posts and newcomers are welcome!!!

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Dec 1 18:49:13 CST 2008

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com wrote:
> I really don't care if people ask the same questions over and over.
> But please if you must respond, try to cut off the former replies to
> which you are responding to just the relevant parts.

I agree with Diane's major point.  Physical editing of posts is a gift
to the rest of us!

I also would like to say I like it when people ask the same questions
every year, or every six months.  I like it when persons new to the list
ask about cannisters (I hate them!), dogs on the trail, where to find
information about towns, etc.  I even appreciate it when someone asks
about a specific piece of gear.  I hope those folk get off-list
bags very often.  I like Steel-Eye's always useful information in his
posts.

Newcomer questions are the lifeblood of the list.  For some reason this
last couple months have had a relative dearth of silly "I've got a
personality" emails and more newcomers asking questions.  This is a
wonderful trend.  I hope it continues.

Mostly I so appreciate newcomers enthusiasm and wide-eyed wonder at
contemplating a thru-hike or section hike.  I wish more of us longtimers
would tell little stories with big lessons, or just little stories...
I know you could refer me to Mags' journals, but I mean little pieces
written for the listserv.  It is cold in South Dakota, and I wear a wool
hat when at home.  If I sit too long at the keyboard my fingers get
cold.  Warm them up!  Give us a story to carry us through the long,
cold, dark and often bleak winter...

My opinion of course...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD (waiting for the winter break in Santa Rosa and the daily
hike in Annadel State Park...)