[pct-l] permits

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 2 15:50:45 CST 2008

It's my understanding that they don't even want you tying your cannister to a tree.  There's also a concern within the NP about the damage the bears do to otherwise healthy trees trying to get at something tied to them unnaturally.  Also, you'll see lots of rope hanging in trees because of poor hanging techniques, another way people leave stuff in the wilderness.

Still, it's allowed in some areas and is recommended by officials in many areas.  My way cool hikin' partner in Section K hung her food quite successfully, but then, that's out of the NP where the real problem bears are found.

L-Rod