[pct-l] Ramona Falls

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Dec 2 18:38:39 CST 2008

I first saw Ramona Falls as a black and white photo in Ryback's PCT book in
the early 1970s. I had my first chance to hike to it in 1977 when I hiked up
Eagle Creek on a July 4th hike, but didn't make it past Wahtum Lake. In July
2006 I hiked the short PCT section from Timberline Lodge to the Columbia
River, and after 30+ years I was able to finally experience Ramona Falls. I
arrived in the late afternoon, and camped up on the ridge above the falls
area. When I went down to capture some photos, I found rainbows dancing
across the water fall due to the sinking sun light filtering through the
trees. It is a beautiful waterfall, and any thruhiker that misses it, misses
a true trail treasure. I took the old PCT from the falls around the huge
valley and across the Muddy fork, and recommend it. This link has several
photos of the falls that day, and beyond.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/mount_hood&page=2