[pct-l] PCT FAQ

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Dec 4 00:22:11 CST 2008

I like the idea of pure facts - references to books, craig's pct
planner, and most of the stuff Brick listed.  But I don't think it needs
a Wiki, and shouldn't include information that has any chance of
changing more than once a year.  Let it give a list of resources and
then once someone new to the list and the PCT has soaked up what they
will, let them ask all the same questions.  An easily expandable FAQ
evolves and is no longer a FAQ - it's a forum.

I just don't see a problem with newcomers asking the same questions each
year.  There is always someone in a talkative mood to offer advice or
experiences.  I do so off list most of the time.  As I said a couple
days ago, I look at new people's questions as the lifeblood of the
list.  I often forget what it's like to wonder about really basic
things.  It affords me a re-looking at my own orientation, attitude, and
gear.

And I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but there are lots more
women piping up and sharing their experiences and asking their
questions.  Go to the list archives and look at the gender of posters in
the beginning - almost totally men...  The list is a better place for
the new voices speaking up!!!

Just my opinion, of course...

Jeff, just Jeff
Martin, SD, where it's 9 degrees, there is really crunchy snow on the
ground, and it's getting colder...