[pct-l] Food on the trail?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Dec 4 08:16:13 CST 2008

Good morning, Sean,

First, your question should be on the list of FAQ possibilities because it
reoccurs several times per year.

The historic indigenous peoples of the area transited by the PCT are a good
place to start.  Most of the area is at high altitude and/or remote and
desolate so people-populations were low.  Those who did live in, or venture
into, the area were primarily subsistence-livers.  Subsistence living means
spending most or all of one's time scraping up something - anything - to
eat; it doesn't include the time and energy to hike 20 miles per day.

With the exception of a few pine nut gathers and groups in the Pacific
Northwest who entered the mountains every autumn to gather huckleberries,
those who ate in the mountains were hunters.

There is a good general rule about wild foods:  If there was anything out
there good to eat you would also find it at Safeway.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye