[pct-l] Food on the trail?

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 09:24:51 CST 2008

Sean,
each area you pass through is going to have different edibles. Dessert vs Mountain vs Forest ecosystems.

You would most likely be spending a lot of time and energy searching (and preparing) wild foods. Not really in your best interest. I wouldn't rely on foraging as a main source of food while on the trail... Imagine if everyone who hiked it did that! Yikes.

If you really want to learn about native edibles, I suggest getting hooked up with a Native Plant Society (I know CA and WA have them) and/or Mushroom society to learn. They often have identification classes specific to edibles.

Just my $0.02
~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra