[pct-l] Section hiker vs. thru

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 4 09:46:55 CST 2008

I did not mean to imply that one was better than the other. After
all, as someone who did not even make it to Oregon, I am a section
hiker, too. And actually, out on the trail I kept thinking how much
section hiking is superior. I wouldn't have had some of the
uncomfortable experiences I had out there and I certainly wouldn't be
so underemployed as I am now. I tip my hat to anyone who can section
hike the entire trail. I don't think I'd ever have that kind of
determination.

Still, I think the experience is different to be out there months at
a time. It seems that the difference may have something to do with
how much concern people have over gear and the possibility that
something "bad" might happen. Maybe even has something to do with
some of the ardent criticisms over whether people follow all the
rules or not or carry certain items or not. I don't know. I no longer
worry so much about any of that anymore. In life or on the trail. I
did not feel that way before.

Well, I guess I'm not even a PCT hiker anymore anyway. I'm now just a
Santa Barbara backcountry hiker again. Where 16 mile days are really
long days and sometimes you are lucky to hike 1 mile an hour clawing
your way on your belly through brush because the trail is gone. Where
ultralight is sort of a joke because you have to carry loppers and a
saw. Ahh. Home again.