[pct-l] Section vs Thru hiking

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 09:47:19 CST 2008

Michael

You said, "thru-hiking in one season is a different beast."  You are right of course.  That was my point.  There are different ways to enjoy the trail.  There are a variety of gifts that it offers and we can all enjoy what we can get out of it.  I can only get a taste of the peace of mind and feelings of self-reliance that a through hiker experiences, but on the other hand, I get to come back next week and explore the side trails.

For example, at Warner Springs I got to go for a ride in a glider aircraft and view the trail from above.  That was fun.  In driving to and from the trail, I have found skydiving centers and ultra-lite and para-sailing clubs, lakes for boating and fishing, ski slopes, etc.  I  return to Deep Creek Hot Springs several times a year.  I discovered it while section hiking.  It is another gift from the PCT to me.

On another occasion, I exited out at Olancha Pass and ran into a cattle drive coming up the mountain.  Real cows and real cowboys, on a real trail drive.  I got to heard some of the cattle and got a ride from the trail head to the highway from the wife of one of the cowboys, pulling one of those long horse trailers with her pick-up.  Now that was different, at least for me, being a city gal and all.  It never would have happened with the PCT.

Others who live further north, I am sure, have their own near-by special places and memories.  Through hikers have accomplished a great feat and I respect and envy them all.  I truly  wish I could through hike in a single season.  However, that does not prevent me from enjoying and exploring where I am and hiking what bits of the trail I can, as I can.  My adventure gos on, and on, and on, year after year.  My hike has become a life style, it is the gift that truly keeps on giving.  :)

Amanda (Shepherd)