[pct-l] Snow

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Dec 4 17:44:19 CST 2008

Good evening, Bob,

I agree entirely with Games.  Russia's Frunze Military Academy has a maxim:
"Snow is not neutral", meaning that it favors those who are prepared and
experienced, but it can be cruel indeed to those who aren't, i.e. the troops
of Bonaparte and Hitler.  If you are a reasonably experienced winter
outdoorsman from the snow-belt you won't have much of a problem.

The Sierras aren't particularly cold in the PCT season, but be prepared for
frost in the morning and maybe a light snowfall now and again.  As was
mentioned recently in reference to tents, it is rare to have to camp on
snow.  Most often there are suitable bare spots.

Most hike through the Sierras without traction aids on their shoes but I've
found that I'm a bit less agile than I was a mere 50 years ago, so if
there's any significant snowpack I like to use poles and instep crampons.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye