[pct-l] a FAQ

Postholer public at postholer.com
Fri Dec 5 22:36:21 CST 2008

> as a starting point so newcomers can have a baseline of knowledge

Exactly! Equally important it introduces them to questions they may not have
thought to ask.

> the FAQ writing process should be based on community memory
> as well as outside source material.

You bet! With a thousand pair of eyes and memorys, together with the
archives, we have everything we need.

> I am against a Wiki structure...for the same reason other folks are: ...
> any bozo can come in and hose a Wiki entry.

Wikipedia is an ideal example of why that statement is NOT true. Wiki's work
very, very well and people generally behave. In the case of a email list
FAQ, I don't believe a wiki (or forum) is the right tool for the job. Too
much overhead.

> I hope the editing team is a good one -- particularly at building
> consensus.
> You don't have to agree on any of the issues. You just
> have to agree to treat the different positions in an evenhanded manner.

Who better to write about trail angels than a trail angel? Who better to
write about the PCT-L mechanics than the administrator? Who better to write
about a gathering than a organizer? Who better to write about the PCTA than
an employee? Who better to write about gear than a thousand eager hikers
reading this list? In the absense of a defacto authority, surely someone
will step in and it will get done.

Apathy is the only hurdle.

-postholer