[pct-l] Birds on the PCT

Andrew Reams abreams at ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 6 01:37:19 CST 2008

Hey Scott,

I've just gotten really into birding on the PCT myself.  I really like the idea of trying to identify
birds by ear while hiking.  There is a couple of CDs of western birdsongs, which you may already
have, but I found very applicable on the PCT.  The first CD set is Peterson's Birding by Ear;
Western Birds.  This one gives you some great pneumonics and how to distinguish between
similar sounding birds:

http://www.amazon.com/Birding-Ear-Western-America-
Peterson/dp/0395975255/ref=wl_it_dp?
ie=UTF8&coliid=I2FV492G3WW2LZ&colid=2CM8JNG36X7C6

The other CD is one that is more regional for the Sierra Nevada and Yosemite, but will apply for
at least half of the PCT:

http://store.onlinenaturemall.com/com6059.html

On the trail you'll definately hear some Clark's Nutcracker.  He's one of the loudest guys you'll
hear in lodgepole pine forrests and above treeline, two places you'll spend much of your time in
California.

Other birds you'll hear very frequently include Mountain Chickadees, Olive-Sided Flycatchers, Hammond's Flycatcher, Mountain Bluebirds, Scrub Jays, Stellar's Jay, (Oregon and Dark-Eyed))
juncos, Western Tanager, American Robins, the list goes on.  I've also seen or heard American
Dippers, White-Throated Swifts, Peregrine Falcons, Fox Sparrows, Mountain Quail,MacGillivray’s
Warbler, Mourning Dove, Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall’s Woodpecker, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Northern Goshawk, White-Crowned Sparrow, Horned Lark, Rock Wren, Gray-Crowned Rosy
Finch, and the incredible Golden Eagle .  I've only seen one bald eagle (below section M's
Gibraltar).

Speaking of birds I just saw the Sandhill Cranes which are wintering in the wetlands just south of
Sacramento.  Simply amazing to see these birds with a wing span of 6 feet.

As a side note Scott, if you haven't already done so, I would highly recommend that you pick up
a good guide book on identifying wildflowers in the Sierras.  You will see many beautiful
wildflowers.  I've found they are much easier to identify than the birds.

Happy birding,
DReams