[pct-l] Guns in National Parks

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 10:38:36 CST 2008

This whole Guns in National Parks issue really bumbs me out.  Who needs a concealed hand gun on the trail anyway or in a national park generally?  As has been pointed out here a number of times before, the most dangerous animal on the trail is man and then mostly near road crossings.  A hand gun is likely too small to protect you from a bear or a mountain lyon.  That is not likely to attack you anyway.  It is too small to hunt dear with and a dear would be waisted on a hiker anyway.  If you are not a hiker, then use a rifle and only during hunting season.

One of the reasons I go hiking is to get away from people with guns and the society that encourages their use.  I get nervous on the trail during hunting season and have probably ruined the shot of a hunter or two by announcing myself. At least hunters are out there with confidence.  Someone who is carrying a hand gun is doing so out of fear and that is far more dangerous.  Perhaps we could start a campaign to write to the state legislators to restrict hand guns within their states to the extent possible by law in the affected states.

Amanda (Shepherd)