[pct-l] Snow skills

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 8 16:01:05 CST 2008

Okay, I have bought the equipment and watched the videos, but am under the impression that it takes more than that to learn the proper use of an ice axe to self-arrest and how to properly walk on ice with cramp-ons.  I could just go to a local ski area and try to teach myself but everything I read seems to imply that there are some fine points that I could miss that way.  I checked the REI WEB Site, but they don't appear to have this training available, not yet anyway.  Does anyone know somewhere where I could go for training near Los Angeles?  I am willing to drive as far as Big Bear.  Otherwise, maybe someone would be willing to share their knowledge on one Sunday?  Hay, I'll buy ya a cup of hot coco when we're done!  Okay, a hot toddy then.  :)

Amanda (Shepherd)