[pct-l] PCTA Membership

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 9 16:07:43 CST 2008

You make a good point about being an active member of other organizations,
and of giving of yourself to trails locally "in trade" so to speak.

Interestingly, you will find most people in California have never heard of
the PCT, outside of the communities it goes directly near. Unlike the east,
where everyone knows about the AT, there is a staggering amount if ignorance
regarding the PCT out here. You'd be shocked to see how little the trail
systems we have get used, considering there are millions and millions of
people with ready access to them. Most of the trails beside the PCT fall in
to decay and disrepair for want of support.  Trails and recreational areas
seem to get more support in Oregon and Washington and to a certain extent
Northern California, though they've been closing many CA state parks due to
budget deficits.

Another key difference to note is that the AT is a National Park its entire
length. That makes things simple, and its covered under the NP budget. The
PCT is different altogether -- it goes through USFS, BLM, NP, state, county,
and private lands (250 miles of which are in dire need of protection due to
inadequate easements). It certainly makes it complicated to deal with all of
the players, with all of their differing rules and agendas.  The USFS is the
lead agency for the trail, and thanks to the efforts of the PCTA, the FS has
created a PCT manager position filled by Beth Boyst (miraculously, and PCT
thru-hiker herself) within their organization so that there is a single
point of contact within that agency.

USFS does provide some funding that comes through their budget for
management of the PCT, which is dwarfed by the contribution of PCTA donors
and volunteers.  Quoting some materials directly regarding who supports the
PCT:  from 1997 to 2007, PCTA volunteers contributed 53%, private donations
contributed 35%, the USDA FS contributed 11%, and the BLM contributed 1%.
So, you can see that on the PCT, the efforts of volunteers and donors makes
all the difference. It is because of the contributions of volunteers, and
the excellent representation provided by the PCTA, that allows those budget
dollars to fund maintenance programs. And, PCTA volunteers go to Washington
DC (on their own dime) every year for AHS' "Hike the Hill" to ensure that
those budget dollars don't get cut as threatened.

Volunteers and donors are the life blood of the PCT.  They conceived it,
lobbied for it, and laid the initial tread as best they could.  But the job
is far from finished, and we are all still needed to carry on what the good
folks who came before us began.

L-Rod