[pct-l] PCTA Membership

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 9 16:30:51 CST 2008

Unfortunately, it takes people to get things done, and even non-profits have
to hire and pay people.

Hiring people is not necessarily evil in and of itself.  I remember not too
long ago when there were just two people running the PCTA.  Imagine trying
to interface with the USFS, BLM, NPS, state parks across three states,
county lands, and private landowners, along with issuing permits, and
coordinating volunteers.  And answer the phones and attempt to provide some
kind of resource for trail users. Thank you, Bob Ballou and Joe Sobinovsky
wherever you are right now.

Then there are the numerous direct threats to the PCT today:  residential
development and urban encroachment, logging, mining, and transmission line
projects.  There are the efforts to improve weak easements and protect lands
that are owned privately, to avoid some horrible situations that have
already occurred (like the trees being logged right up to the trail -- the
easement allowed it as long as the loggers didn't block the trail).

All that doesn't include the ongoing maintenance of the trail -- repairing
damage from natural disasters, misuse destroying tread, and the relentless
brush work that must take place to keep the trail from getting swallowed.
The list of things that need to be done is long indeed.  You need people to
do that -- talented people with professional skills.

It is my understanding that $.85 of every dollar given to the PCTA goes
directly toward trail protection and preservation. That's a remarkable
number compared to many other organizations who are, as you rightly warn
against, top heavy and missing the point of their mission.  I can attest
that this is not the case with the PCTA.

L-Rod